WAXING 101 FAQs
Waxing removes hair from the root underneath the skin, not just from the surface, so the hair follicle needs to go through another cycle of regrowth which takes up to 6 weeks, unlike shaving where hair can grow back in days.
Every time hair is pulled out with wax, a new papilla (the bulb on the bottom of the hair follicle) needs to form so hair takes longer to re-grow, additionally, consistently removing hair from the root causes papilla regeneration to weaken so hair will grow back softer and finer. Applying warm wax to the skin causes the pores to expand so hair is released painlessly with ease.
Here are the top 5 reasons why you should switch to waxing:
- Be free of hair for weeks at a time. No 5 o’clock shadow as hair is removed from the roots and can take up to 3-6 weeks to grow back.
- No More Razor Bumps or Burns and unsightly bumps. With shaving, hair regrows thicker forcing you to shave every other day, this can be harsh on skin and lead to breaking hair follicles causing burns abd bumps while with waxing, the new hair is removed from the root and it takes longer time to grow back.
- One wax session can save time from your morning routine by eliminating the need to shave or tweeze. Waxing once every 3-8 weeks give you the opportunity to do the things you love.
- Waxing has a dual benefit: Removing unwanted hair and exfoliating skin by getting rid of dead skin cells and opening up the pores. This will give a silky smooth fee and will last for weeks.
- Smoother Skin since Hair grows back finer and softer with no stubble leaving a smoother, silkier feel.
Honee™ Waxes are the standard by which all other waxes are measured. All Honee™ Waxes melt to a smooth honey-like texture and glide effortlessly on the skin with ease while the premium pine rosins work to effectively remove all unwanted hair.
Soft waxes feature a rich, velvety texture to gently cushion the skin providing a more comfortable wax experience. All Crème Waxes melt at a lower temperature and spread thin for added comfort and ease. The soft wax allows pores to expand so that hair and papilla are effectively removed with less discomfort. Soft wax is removed with natural muslin/ bleached muslin/cloth. Hair re-growth is finer and softer and results last for 4-6 weeks.
Hard Waxes melt at a low temperature and spread evenly on the skin for optimal results. Every Hard Wax has its own setting time, from fast to long-setting, to fit the need of every professional. This is a No-Strip formula that adheres to hair, not skin, and is great for sensitive areas including bikini, face and underarm while.
If waxing is performed using poor technique hairs can break off and cause irritation or ingrown hairs. GIGI offers full treatment products to prepare the skin prior to waxing and soothe the skin post-wax, alleviating any type of discomfort or irritation. Also, try GIGI No Bump to resume ingrown hair and exfoliate skin.
- Women – face, arms and hands, chest and back, torso, bikini, legs and feet
- Men – face (not beard), arms and hands, chest and back, torso, mankini, legs and feet
- Never wax – inside ears, genital area, over nipples, moles or warts, over irritated, cut or broken skin and over recent scar tissue.
If you have:
- Sunburned or irritated skin
- Cuts or recent scar tissue
- Protruding veins
- Diabetes phlebitis or any other skin disorders
If the following medications are taken, waxing is NOT recommended because the side effects of these drugs can be extreme sensitivity and irritation:
- Retin A
- Glycolic Acids
Brazilian waxing refers to a removal of almost all pubic hair, front to back except for a thin strip of hair on the pubis. You can even ask them to wax it off too.
It takes between 4-6 weeks to grow back but it grows back much softer and not as coarse. Results may vary on type of hair.
Brazilian wax takes it ALL off. Bikini waxing removes the bikini line only.
Make sure you put tanning lotion around your entire waxed area so it doesn’t get as irritated from the UV rays, and always ensure that you moisturize the area thoroughly!
It varies on the size of the person, and it also depends on the technique the waxer uses, some tends to use more wax on a stick than others.
There are a few reasons for this problem:
- The hair was not long enough. Hair needs to be at least a quarter of an inch for proper hair removal.
- The wax pulled too slowly or in the wrong direction. Apply the wax in the direction of the hair growth; rub firmly in same direction 3-4 times. Pull the surrounding skin taut and pull the strip against the skin in the opposite direction.
- Skin was not properly prepped. It is essential to prepare the skin for waxing. First use a cleanser to remove any oil, make-up or perspiration from the skin’s surface.
Depending your comfort level, if little hair is left behind, you may reapply hard wax up to 3 times in the same waxed area. You can also use hard wax over hard wax to remove any remaining hair.
Yes, note that a 1/4" growth is ideal for most hard waxes to grab and remove the hair efficiently and comfortably
Yes, apply GiGi Anesthetic Numbing Spray is a topical analgesic spray that gently desensitizes the skin prior to waxing with 4% Lidocaine. Lidocaine penetrates the surface of the skin, numbing the area to be waxed within minutes, minimizing the discomfort typically associated with waxing.
Yes, baby oil will also work for this waxing procedure
No hot baths for the reminder of the day as hot water can sip into open hair follicle and cause irritation
No exposure to sun or tanning for up to 48 hours as skin tends to be more sensitive.
Yes, this Brazilian body wax can be use for body and face, no muslins are required.
No, this is a hard wax, you don’t need strips. Simply wait few seconds for the wax to harden, lift and pull off the wax against hair growth direction
It takes about 30 minutes to melt it completely on high settings on your warmer. This also varies by warmer and how cold is your waxing room. When wax melts it changes color and texture so easily you can tell that it’s melting. You can also test temperature of the wax on your inner wrist before you start to ensure it is not too hot.
Yes, you can reheat it this product and use for waxing. The wax will not lose its performance.
Yes Hard wax can be used on both female and male bikini area. The make Brazilian service often called mankini and it is becoming frequently available in spa menus.
After waxing remove waxy residue from the skin after waxing, use GiGi Wax Off. Apply a cooling gel such as GiGi Post Wax Cooling Gel to soothe the area. It contains Aloe Vera and Allantoin, which are naturally soothing and have anti-inflammatory properties. This will help reduce redness and irritation.
• Hair Should be about 1/4 inches long
• Be sure to sanitize your hands as well as your client’s prior to any service.
• For sensitive areas, apply GiGi Numbing Spray 3 to 5 minutes prior to waxing. The eyebrows, upper lip, and bikini areas are the areas it should be used the most often.
• Clean the skin with GiGi Pre Hon to remove body oil, make-up, dead skin cells, perspiration and bacteria from the skin. Make sure the skin is dry before continuing.
• Apply a light coat of GiGi Pre Epilation Oil and blot. The oil will act as a buffer between the skin and the wax.
• Apply the wax as far down as necessary, making sure to end wax in a hair free area. Follow the direction of hair growth. Working in a small area, as the hair growth pattern indicates, apply the wax with your applicator. Make sure to allow the wax to cover no more than a two-inch area.
• Pull the strip in the opposite direction, as quickly and as close to the skin as possible.
• Apply FIRM pressure with your hand immediately after each epilation.
• Work in small sections only and repeat procedure for each section. Remember that each change in the direction of hair growth requires a separate application.
• Finish application with GiGi Bikini Soothing Cream.
• To remove waxy residue from the skin after waxing, use GiGi Wax Off.
• Apply GiGi Post Wax Cooling Gel to soothe the area. It contains Aloe Vera and Allantoin, which are naturally soothing and have moisturizing properties. This will help reduce redness and irritation.
• Other GiGi post epliation products may be used according to skin and service type. Just remember less is best when it comes to stimulation to the skin and amount of product used.
• No hot baths for the reminder of the day as soaking in hot water can cause skin to become irritated
• Not tanning bed sessions for up to 48 hours after waxing
• After 48 hours, it is recommended to exfoliate skin to help prevent ingrow hairs
• To help reduce ingrown hair and bump, we recommend GIGI No Bump control scrub
• Enjoy smooth, silky, hair-free skin!
• Important warning for women: Do not schedule your waxing session 3 days before your period, as skin tends to be the most sensitive during this time